Boston, MA, USA / Ann Arbor, MI, USA / Remote •
$120k - $150k
1 month ago
We’re a new insurance company, help us build our Go-based company stack from the ground up.
We’re hiring for an experienced Go-programmer role. Your primary responsibility will be to develop the core systems that power our insurance products and to help spread your Go expertise at the company e.g., promote Go best-practices and mentor other developers excited to learn more Go.
Skills & requirements:
- Must be a US-resident. Sorry, this is a hard requirement.
- Computer science or engineering college degree, or equivalent experience
- You’re proficient in Go/Golang, with professional/production experience
- You need to have excellent communication skills
You DO NOT need a math or insurance background to be AMAZING at this job. Anyone with a good understanding of the typical web stack and Go should apply. We’re a pretty friendly bunch. We like working with other friendly & open folks who like to code.
Some of the stuff we do with Go:
- Integrating with data sources to provide real-time information on hundreds of data points; everything from property characteristics, such as roof construction material, to weather-related data that help us predict flood risk or potential hailstorm damage.
- Turning statistical models developed in R into production-quality code that can make pricing decisions, assessing a customer’s risk. Again, you DO NOT need to know R or any statistics or post-high-school level math.
- Building a smart qualifier that decides if an applicant is eligible to be insured, while also making sure to avoid purchasing expensive data for a lost cause.
- Contributing to important architectural and operational decisions like microservices vs. monoliths, deployment techniques, technologies, policies, etc.
- Building an API so third-party resellers can purchase insurance from us programmatically.
- And tons of future projects: machine learning for fraud detection, satellite/aerial imagery processing, IOT integration, etc.
What’s in our stack?
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS & Webpack
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O & Python
- We’re using GoKit for guidance, but not dogmatically
- Single binary for now, but separate services are likely later
- You’ll have a lot of influence on architecture since we’re still early
- We’re hosting on Kubernetes/GKE
More about us:
We’re headquartered in Boston but we have people that work in Southern California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. We welcome fully remote employees, or if you want to work in the Ann Arbor, MI or Boston, MA offices, that’s cool too.
Perks & Benefits
Compensation is a mix of competitive salary and equity. We offer full benefits (medical, dental, vision) and contribute to your 401K.
- Two phone / VC calls
- Coding exercise (at your own pace)
- Coding review
- Meet other members of the team