- Upload Your CV
- Go to your Inbox & Confirm Your Application
Cuvva is making car insurance radically better.
We’re creating truly flexible products that meet people’s real needs. Using lightning-fast technology to unlock better experiences and fairer prices for our customers, Cuvva is building the future of insurance every day.
Cuvva was the first UK company to sell hourly insurance through an app. Since then we’ve sold over 3 million policies and supported over 450,000 customers. We’re a world-class team of over 100 people, passionate about solving our customers’ problems. Join us.
Why work for Cuvva?
We don’t cut corners. We strive to do the right thing, even when that makes life more difficult for us.
We are customer centric and everyone in every area of the business–including our CEO & Founder Freddy–is expected to spend a few hours a month on customer support. This is so we all fully understand customer needs and how the app works! Here’s a blog post on our ‘Cops Club’.
We’ve nurtured an awesome team culture. We always speak up when we have an idea - but also know when to let go and get behind something else. And we’re comfortable giving and receiving honest feedback, and trying new ways of doing things.
We’re building a diverse team from different backgrounds, outlooks and experiences. Everyone is given a fair chance of getting a role at Cuvva. Even if you secretly don’t love insurance, trust us, you’ll love what we’re building.
About the role
You’ll work in one of our cross-functional product squads, helping the team achieve their goals - whether that’s building a new service in our backend platform, creating a new version of an existing API to deliver a new feature, or creating a CLI tool to automate something.
We work in a highly collaborative fashion, and maintain an open and transparent work environment. Engineers at Cuvva don’t just write code or implement against a spec. You’ll be expected and encouraged to take part in the entire product development process from problem-discovery to solution design, to implementation and rollout.
Each product squad autonomously owns an area of the Cuvva product. Squads are made up of engineers from multiple disciplines (backend, web, iOS, Android), product and content designers, and a product manager. Engineers at Cuvva come from a variety of backgrounds and have different but complementary skill sets. We don’t require a computer science degree - many of us are self-taught.
We value consistently-written, simple, resilient systems. Our backend is made up of many standalone services with a JSON-based RPC interface. We aim to create a client-agnostic API design suitable for a variety of clients (mobile apps, website, internal tooling, 3rd parties). Because we’re a regulated financial company, we have interesting and rigorous requirements to meet with regards to data security and auditability.
You can find out more about our backend systems here: Our libraries and Go tooling is open sourced on GitHub “Showing off our K-sortable IDs” our blog
“How we analyse and test new pricing models” our blog
“How we test and roll out new product features” our blog
You’ll do great here if you:
• Have genuine interest and curiosity about the Cuvva product, and consumer insurance in general
• Enjoy working as a team to solve problems collaboratively
• Have around 5 years of experience building rock-solid backend systems and APIs
• Have a track record of shipping great quality code with real customer impact
• Be comfortable and productive working with Go
• We don’t require commercial Go experience but you would be expected to have a basic understanding and a willingness to learn
• Having a background with at least one statically-typed language is a good sign
• Know your way around the major AWS services (or similar cloud services), and have an enthusiasm for cloud services in general
• Be comfortable working with containers (e.g. Docker, K8S, ECR, container based CI platforms)
As well as a competitive salary (£75-90k, dependent on experience) and equity based remuneration, benefits of working at Cuvva include:
• Brand new MacBook 💻
• 33 days holiday (inc public holidays🌞)
• Flexible working
• Wellbeing, personal development and work from home budgets
• Yearly increases to budgets and holiday allowances
• Generous parental leave policy
• One-to-one sessions with our Sanctus mental health coaches, giving you a safe space to talk 🧠
• Access to Lifeworks - our mental health tool and employee assistance programme
• Mates rates on your car insurance
• Salary sacrifice schemes for electric bike hire and electric car lease
• Cycle to work scheme 🚲
• Season ticket loans 🚂
• A volunteer day
• Office library full of great books 📚
• Great coffee machine in the office ☕️
• Fully stocked beer and soft drink fridge (we do team drinks every Thursday)
• Monthly team outings or remote events (so far we’ve done things like karaoke, go-karting, bowling and comedy nights) 🎤Apply