Backend Engineer at Hinge - New York City, USASalary
$100K – $135K• Company Website https://hinge.co
We are looking for a sharp midlevel backend engineer who has experience but is hungry to learn more. We want you to help us design and build the next generation of high performance APIs and backend services in Go (the fastest growing language on Github). As a Midlevel Backend Engineer you’ll be an integral member of our engineering team and report to the Director of Backend Engineering.
What you can expect from us
- The opportunity to learn industry best practices on an app that serves millions (microservices, continuous development, caching, asynchronous processing, monitoring, and scaling)
- Openness to new approaches and better ways of doing things
- Exposure to other teams (product, design, frontend, devops, data)
- A collaborative environment that moves fast
- Mentorship and coaching from your manager
What we expect from you
- 2-4 years experience in backend or full stack development building APIs
- Prior knowledge of Go preferred but not required
- Positive, kind, and open to feedback
- Ready to hit the ground running with a commit on day one
- Beginning to form opinions on best practices and excited to share ideas
- Thrive in a collaborative work environment
- Have a bias to action
- Clear communication and ability to own projects end-to-end, coordinating with other teams as necessary
In 9 to 18 months become a senior backend engineer capable of executing large and difficult projects on-time and with minimal guidance.
Roles / Responsibilities
- Write high quality code that is self explanatory, tested, and meets objectives as described in functional specifications.
- Collaborate with other backend and client (iOS and Android) engineers and participate in code reviews.
- Participate in on-call rotation for after hours support.
- Follow established best practices for the backend codebase.
- Help analyze performance throughout the stack to optimize the user experience.
- Drive projects to completion with minimal guidance.
Objectives in the first three months
- Learn our systems and frameworks and begin implementing minor improvements
- Own and deliver a large project start-to-finish.
- Review and leave a comment for each backend Pull Request
- Participate in the weekly on-call rotation and be able to handle most issues
- Plan and estimate your own work in weekly Sprint Planning meetings
- Go to a Golang meetup
This is a mid-level position with competitive pay and benefits, plus an awesome working environment. Any company can give you free lunch and happy hours (and we do), but at Hinge we pride ourselves on caring for each other.
We believe the quality of your relationships determines the quality of your life. So when it comes to your most important relationship, it makes sense to take a more thoughtful approach. Hinge provides an alternative to swipe culture by creating smart matches and natural conversations among people who are on the same page. That’s why 75% of our first dates turn into second dates, and why we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the NYTimes Wedding section. Hinge is where the next generation is going when they’re over dating games and ready to find meaningful connections.
What you can expect from us
As individuals, and as a company, we strive to embody these 5 cultural attributes in everything we do:
- Open: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Candid: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly, in real time.
- Kind: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
- Bold: Proactively identify and pursue opportunity. Think big and don’t be afraid to take calculated risks.
- Discerning: Think and act using the appropriate combination of principles, common sense, data and insight.
Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment at Hinge.