Get access to exclusive discount on Golang courses up to 25% off
Last developer joined
Upload Your CV
Go to your Inbox & Confirm Your Application
This job posting is no longer available
Backend Engineer at Jodel - Berlin, Germany
Salary €55,000 to €65,000 a year Company Websitehttp://www.jodel.com Published February 2024 Applicants This Week 3
We created Jodel to let you instantly connect, share, and engage with the community around you. We built thriving local communities across Europe and continue to expand globally. With over 1 million users creating more than 6 million posts per day, we have one of the industry's highest retention rates. We've attracted great investors such as Christophe Maire, Adam d’Angelo, and the Floodgate Fund, and even been the subject of several academic papers.
We're growing our Engineering team around a culture of sustainability and empowerment. We're dealing with dynamics such as being local, signup-lean and many more, which give us new problems to solve -- we’re literally breaking new ground in the Social Network space. Data-driven by default, with a bias for quality and code sustainability, and fostering a solid DevOps and Automated Testing culture, Jodel's Engineering team is the place to be!
Attitude we're looking for
* You’re naturally motivated and proud of doing great work;
* Numbers and data are the best way to drive your decisions;
* You have a strong personality, sense of ownership and responsibility;
* You put people and human interactions above processes and rules;
* You understand the value of "measure twice - cut once" and you work by this mantra;
* You own your successes and your failures, and constantly seek to improve;
* You keep your mind on the product we're building, and are permanently aware of how each small action influences its success.
What we value
* Your studies were in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering;
* You're a problem solver, and you’re eager to experiment and learn new things;
* You write code optimizing for clarity and readability;
* You value testing very highly;
* You write software aiming at reducing the cost of change;
* You enjoy pair programming and code reviews, and see your job as a collaborative effort rather than solitary work;
* Engineering work is mostly about compromises and so you're always open to discuss different approaches to problems;
* You're happy to collaborate with your community and industry, either in open source projects or presenting at meetups and conferences;
Skills we're looking for
* You have experience with either Node.js or Golang, but you're definitely interested in doing more Golang as part of your job;
* You want to work in Distributed Systems;
* You have experience with MongoDB and Redis, beyond "I have played with it in the past";
* You have a bias to automate things when possible;
* You’re ready to embrace a DevOps culture, because an Engineer’s work doesn’t end after we ‘git push’;
* You're ready to work with Linux, Cloud providers, Docker, Kubernetes
What do we offer?
* An Empowered Team -- Engineering owns tech debt and tech improvement decisions; we collaborate tightly with our product team but we're all very mindful not to step on each other's toes. We own technical decisions, take responsibility and are accountable for them..
* Preventive culture, rather than reactive -- While some of us participate in on call duties, we have a very low amount of actual production emergencies. A lot of energy goes into fixing root causes and we are very proud of not having anyone in firefighting mode.
* Career building is part of the deal -- you don't join to just write tests and contribute to the product - you also join to improve your career. We pay special attention to your personal development and make sure you're focusing on the skills that matter the most to you.
* Lean processes -- we try hard to cut meetings and processes to a minimum, to ensure that you’re being productive. And we encourage all interactions to be direct and open, not forcing you to go through any intermediaries to get your work done.
* United in diversity -- with people from all over the world, from Tunisia to France, from India to the Poland, we are multicultural by default and proud to be so. We all come from different walks of life and cultural backgrounds, and we continue to push for diversity in our team!
* We're building a team, not just making money -- we solve hard problems together but we also relax and have fun. From team cooking to going on company trips, from office parties to go-karting, we'll make sure you have a good work-life balance.
* The future will be amazing -- the list of non-trivial challenges we'll be dealing with includes developer APIs, security issues, scaling access to a lot of data (among other things we can't tell you about :-) ); all of this with location and anonymity as their own dimensions in Jodel.
* No one else is doing what we're doing -- it's that simple. We're pioneering local communication and since communication is a basic human need, our work is super exciting. On top of that, we are one of the few large scale European Social Networks. There’s not that many and we're very proud to be "Made in Europe".