Distributed Systems TLS / API Engineer at Fastly - San Francisco / Remote
$110k - $185k • Company Website https://fastly.com
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, The New York Times and Ticketmaster.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Distributed Systems - TLS / API Engineer
We’re looking for talented software engineers with experience in building resilient and distributed systems to join our team. This role is responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining the platform to deliver our core CDN configurations as well as our future Edge Cloud products. We have local offices in San Francisco, Portland and other locations. Remote workers are also encouraged to apply. Time zones with some overlap to North American time zones are preferred.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to the systems for managing DNS and TLS technology to minimize latency for delivering Fastly’s services.
- Implement systems to allow Fastly’s customers to control their own TLS and DNS configurations for how their requester traffic reaches Fastly.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of Fastly’s latency-informed, topologically-aware DNS system.
- Support internal operational, analytical and customer-facing teams that depend on the DNS and TLS tooling.
- Build internet-scale, fault tolerant, well-instrumented services that enable Fastly’s authoritative DNS services and TLS termination capabilities.
What We’re Looking For
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience and/or interest in SOME of these:
- Maintaining and developing large-scale and/or global production systems
- Experience building APIs to handle complex or sensitive data with Go (or other languages) in an interdependent and heterogeneous environment.
- Experience with network data and networking data structures.
- Operational networking experience (e.g. DNS, routing protocols, packet diagnosis and latency analysis)
- Writing code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, profiling, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with online testing, integration testing, database and system profiling.
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Understanding of authoritative DNS services, especially in an anycast environment.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed team: Previous remote work preferred.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customershave a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful – every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!