Golang Developer at ActiveState - Vancouver, BC, Canada / RemoteSalary
$40k - $100k• Company Website https://www.activestate.com
Are you a Golang developer that’s passionate about developer tooling? ActiveState is looking for developers to level up their end-user tooling team. This team is mainly responsible for “the State Tool”, a new command line tool we’re developing that allows you to quickly jump-start runtime environments for your projects. Backed by ActiveState’s new platform we’ll be able to provide developer tooling unlike any you’ve seen before.
If you know Python, Perl, or Tcl you’ve probably heard of ActiveState’s language distros. Now we’re building an ambitious language distribution platform and set of tools so that coders can focus on coding and spend less time worrying about dependency hell, third party vulnerabilities, and inconsistent developer environments. We’re doing this for every language and platform on the planet (and beyond). We need your help to do it! Best of all you’ll be working on a product that you’ll use yourself daily.
This position is based out of our headquarters in beautiful Vancouver, BC. Remote work will be considered, but only for candidates in North America.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Your job is to help us build the tools that take the pain out of developing code in teams. Our lofty goal is to replace the venerable README file with a single command. You’ll work on command line clients, editor tooling, and more. While a primary amount of your job will be described as back-end work you must be comfortable with a little front-end work as well.
When not working on code, you’ll be meeting with your team to figure out priorities, features, technical issues, etc. You’re someone with good technical knowledge who also has an interest in the end-product you’ll be building.
Our day to day work practices are centered around GitHub, pull requests, code review, CI for testing, and agile development with Pivotal Tracker as our project management tool. We’re always looking to improve our practices and we expect you to help us to do so.
Our back ends and command line tools for interacting with our Platform are written in Go. While certain extended components of the platform that you might interact with from time to time are written in Elm and Python. We’re also aiming to get a foothold in TypeScript for future editor plugin work.
The team is scattered around the US and Canada, so we coordinate with each other and the rest of the company using Slack for chat, Highfive for video calls and screen sharing, Pivotal Tracker, and the Google Suite.
We like to use open source software whenever possible, and we also like to contribute back to the open source ecosystem. We embrace open sourcing both libraries and tools developed in-house as long as those are not mission-critical code.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Working for a stable and growing company that offers the environment and personal growth potential of a start-up.
- The chance to work with a smart, passionate team of people.
- The chance to work on a project that will change the work lives of developers around the world, including your own!
- Competitive salary, bonus, and stock option plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package and health/wellness credit program.
- Experience with Go.
- The ability to quickly pick up new languages and technologies.
- Experience with relational database (mysql, postgres, ..).
- Experience with all 3 major platforms (Linux, macOS, Windows).
- The ability to write clean, well-tested code with clear documentation.
- Excellent written and spoken skills, both technical and non-technical..
- A willingness to engage in the process of defining our work through conversations with product management, other engineering teams, and the rest of the company.
- The ability to help others on the team become better at their jobs through mentoring, thoughtful code reviews, and generally being a team player.
If you have experience with any of the following please make sure to highlight it in your cover letter:
- TypeScript experience.
- Elm experience, especially large Single Page Apps.
- Microservices and message queues.
- Good working knowledge of Docker.
- Experience building both web based and desktop based software.
- Docker, Mesos, DCOS, Kubernetes.
- Functional programming languages.
- Experience Creating parsers, compilers or code intelligence systems
- Deep understanding Process management on Windows or Unix environments
- Work with reactive, event based systems
- Low level architecture (sockets, primitive data types like in C) and the ability to interface and interact with low level libraries (e.g. debuggers).