Observability Engineer (F/M/X) at Fraugster - Berlin, Germany
Salary €45,000 to €65,000 a year
Company Website https://fraugster.com
Published February 2019
Applicants This Week 1
Fraugster is a payment security company with the goal of eliminating fraud and increasing our customers’ profits. Over the last years we’ve invented an artificial intelligence technology that combines human-like accuracy with machine scalability. This ability lets us foresee fraudulent attacks before they actually happen and gives us a distinct competitive advantage over every other player in the payment security space.
We’re already working with some of the most well-known payment and e-commerce companies in the world. Notable clients include companies like Ingenico and SIX Payments. Fraugster is backed by top-tier investors and is currently managing billions of Euros for its clients.
We make decisions based on data, it’s the core of our business, and it’s providing insights into the effectiveness of our product and features. We believe data powers creativity and productivity, and that a robust, reliable and scalable infrastructure is needed to support this.
Our Observability team is operating the solutions that make gaining insights from data possible with monitoring, logging, metrics and other telemetry tools. The team is responsible for simplifying the process of building data and metrics-driven products and features. This is a high impact, high visibility role that directly affects the experiences of all our engineers.
As we take on more services and responsibilities, we’re looking to add another member to the team.
What you will be doing:
- Design, build, and operate the observability stack of large-scale data infrastructure systems from the early stage
- Improve the stack, dive into new technologies and figure out how best to monitor them
- Provide easy ways to understand the state of the services at a given point in time, including the ability to trace requests across multiple services
- Work with development teams in an advisory capacity to optimize usage of monitoring and logging tools: what to log, measure and alert, which metrics and events are important and why through guidance, documentation and internal discussion
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge, including Open-Source projects
- Mentor and guide junior engineers as the team grows
You’re a good fit if some of the below applies to you:
- You are a great teammate who can work effectively as part of a cross-functional team
- You have strong analytical, problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- You are a good communicator in English, both verbal and written
- You are knowledgeable about a variety of infrastructure and development topics
- You have worked in an environment that runs multiple services handling a large number of transactions, owned by different teams
- You have the skills to help a development team to perform complex debugging, but you also know when to let the team figure things out on their own
- You enjoy thinking about how to make life simpler for other engineers
The experience we are looking for:
- Designing, implementing and debugging large-scale data infrastructure systems, and identifying their performance bottlenecks
- Understanding of long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Experience in Go is a big plus, but not strictly required and experience with a similar backend language would suffice. Our team can teach you and get you up to speed
- Monitoring and operating open source software in production at scale e.g. Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker
- Operating telemetry tools, e.g. the ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, Istio and others
- Not everything listed is required and not everything required is listed. If you have skills that are not listed but you think will contribute to your performance let us know!
What we offer:
- The chance to be be part of a growing team of with plenty of room to leave your mark and impact company strategy and growth
- Fun, creative and focused teams committed to learning and problem-solving through collaboration
- Competitive salary and, if required, visa sponsorship and a relocation package
- Office located in the heart of Berlin with teammates from around the world
- Time to work on projects that are not in the scope of the sprint, standing desks, team events and a weekly company dinner
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
We value ownership and innovation, and we build our teams with that in mind. We want each team to be responsible and accountable for what they ship. We also don’t want to reinvent the wheel every time, so we try to get alignment in terms of practices and technologies. Our philosophy to achieve this is relying on excellent tooling and automation over policies and processes.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences from all over the world. We’re a team of technically curious problem solvers. Come and join us.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!