Platform Engineer at Opinary - Berlin, Germany
Salary €60,000 to €70,000 a year
Company Website https://opinary.com
Published May 2021
Applicants This Week 8
Opinary has one mission: We help people make up their minds. Globally, millions of people use our polling technology to share their opinion, engage in open dialogue, and understand complex debates - all with one simple click. And, by harnessing the latest advances in Machine Learning, NLP, and distributed systems design, our platform ensures that readers get the right question at the right time.
With over 80 million monthly users, we’re one of the fastest-growing startups in the media space. You’ve probably used our tools yourself on publishers like The Times, Spiegel Online, NBC, Huffington Post, or the Independent.
As a Platform Engineer, your technical chops will directly impact today’s debates in the most relevant media outlets.
Who we’re looking for
Sure, we need someone talented. But, most importantly, we are looking for someone who:
- Owns challenges. Who doesn’t back down or say “that’s not my job.”
- Is a great communicator and listener. Likes to collaborate across teams and understand why their project matters to everyone in the company.
- Embodies our values of care and respect. That means caring for and respecting your colleagues as well as your own mental and physical health.
- Is comfortable with designing and developing large distributed systems.
- Has a solid understanding of effective engineering practices (TDD, XP, etc.).
- Has worked in modern cloud platforms such as AWS/GCP.
- Is familiar with the concepts of event-driven architectures.
- You develop software in a compliant and rigorous way, whilst maximizing the value add to our stakeholders: users, brands & publishers.
- You take ownership of the existing codebase and proactively work on improving the stability of it.
- You maintain and monitor the live system, and you are responsible for the swift recovery in case of issues.
- You design and implement new services that support the needs of the stakeholders.
- You enhance our technology stack and lead the implementation of platforms both as well as the systems infrastructure of our product
- You collaborate with our Product Lead to refine the product-market fit
- You work in a close and trustful relationship with the founders, product and sales teams in a cross-discipline agile environment
- You had the chance to work in a team on a live project for at least three years as a Software Engineer.
- You approach the problems holistically, and you can make tradeoffs based on data.
- You value coding as your craft and understand that writing software is about solving technical problems - but equally important, something to be maintained and understood by your peers.
- You enjoy pair-programming with your colleagues.
- You had the opportunity to debug a live service, on live traffic, with live users.
- You’re proactive and curious: always eager to learn new things and happy to share your knowledge with others.
What we offer
- We have a diverse and open culture from different professional and personal backgrounds. Our agile team provides the space to directly influence and impact our product positively
- Growth and continuous learning: everyone at Opinary is encouraged to trust in experiments and personally grow - with a generous learning budget to help out
- We provide a flexible working environment. Choose your working hours, take unlimited work-from-home and holidays, and choose your preferred laptop