Senior Backend Engineer at Compensate - Helsingfors, Finland
Salary $60,000 to $95,000 a year
Company Website https://compensate.com
Published: May 2020
About the role
Compensate is at a critical juncture in terms of product development and engineering culture. We’re looking to add a logically minded developer that isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and help us develop and mature our product as we drive to make compensating for CO2 emissions a frictionless process. In this role, we’re seeking a forward thinking, backend-focused engineer to complement our growing engineering team and a technical advisor for our product function.
As we intend to move quickly to roll out the first phases of our compensation solutions, a bold and can-do attitude is a real asset. On the long-term, this role also caters to those interested in learning and building modern solutions. Making use of mostly open-source technologies, our roadmap includes novel approaches, such as data lakes to feed machine learning solutions, building a knowledge graph of carbon emissions, and event-driven solutions
- Develop a One Stop Shop for business licensing.
- Design and build architecture for decisions related to end-to-end product and public interfaces.
- Drive cross-functional, technical conversations to stay in lock-step with product, partnerships and brand.
- Proactively anticipate technology changes, technical risks, implement systems with fault-tolerant capabilities and ensure system stability and scalability.
- Build, manage and grow relationships and projects with existing and future technical partners.
Who you are:
- Comfortable with a variety of backend programming languages.
- Experienced in building developer friendly RESTful APIs.
- Ample web application development experience.
- Experienced in writing microservices with a strong preference for folks that have done so in a Kubernetes environment.
- Strong experience with containerization technologies e.g. Docker.
- Comfortable with implementing products/services with 3rd party partners.
- Comfortable authoring infrastructure-as-code.
- Bold experimenter that has a strong internal compass for when to tinker and when to execute.
- You are passionate about improving engineering practices and processes (TDD, CI/CD, pair programming, design/code reviews, etc.).
- Excellent collaboration skills and leadership (e.g., coordinating, building consensus, influencing without authority, listening, being open to other perspectives).
Cherry on top:
- Knowledge of event driven architecture and data engineering.
- Knowledge of implementing ML solutions.
- Interest in building knowledge graphs.
- Knowledge of ecommerce and payment providers.
- Full-stack experience with an emphasis on React/Redux programming experience.
What’s on the table for you:
- A super meaningful job. When successful, you’re going to be part of saving the world!.
- A friendly, open, and collaborative work environment, where the best ideas win.
- Small-team action: freedom to have a big impact on the world and the company (with the accompanying responsibility).
- Freedom to choose your tools.