Senior Software Engineer at Helix - San Diego / San Mateo, USA
Salary $155,000 to $205,000 a year
Company Website https://www.helix.com
Published: October 2019
It’s our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. We believe DNA will be digitally accessible to each person so that it can be used—at any time—to improve health outcomes and accelerate research.
Helix powers life-changing population health programs. Our world-class clinical laboratory platform and proprietary Exome+ assay enable health systems to integrate genomic information into routine clinical care and enhance the accessibility of personalized healthcare. Additionally, Helix stores and protects participants’ DNA information, so that as the science evolves, health systems, patients and researchers are able to continuously benefit from a lifetime of DNA insights.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a diverse team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity — we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility — we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility — flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Follow-through — we’re building a diverse team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Design and build high quality enterprise grade software solutions for genomics lab and data pipeline applications.
- Collaborate with product managers, bioinformaticians, scientists, regulatory, and other engineers.
- Synthesize requirements and author new engineering designs.
- Build for reliability and scale across users and health systems.
- Advance engineering best practices.
- Mentor other engineers to reinforce a culture of learning and teaching.
- A passion for improving people’s lives through access to better information about their DNA
- 5+ years development experience in one of the following: Go, Python, or a similar language
- A proven track record of building software solutions for managing and processing large datasets
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with developing software on cloud platforms — AWS, GCP, Azure
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- Familiarity with full-stack development
- Familiarity with regulated software systems and entities
- BS+ in Computer Science; coursework in genetics or bioinformatics
What Helix can offer you:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- On-premise nursing room
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO