Senior Software Engineer (Platform team) at Housing Anywhere BV - Rotterdam, NetherlandsSalary
€50k - €75k• Company Website https://housinganywhere.com/
HousingAnywhere.com is the biggest global booking platform for mid-term rental accommodation in the world. Being a peer-to-peer marketplace, we create an experience that serves both sides of the rental accommodation market and creates a direct connection between tenants and landlords. HousingAnywhere.com is active in 50+ countries and 400+ cities. We are partners with 160+ universities worldwide and currently target the international students and young professionals market. We are expanding to other audiences as well.
In 2017, we were awarded 4th most innovative company in the Netherlands and the 1st most innovative company in Rotterdam by the Dutch Chamber of Commerce.
In 2018, we have been honored by being the fastest growing propTech company in the Netherlands as part of the Technology Fast 50 ranking of Deloitte.
Our engineering team consists of a group of 30 people (product leads, engineering leads, architects, product owners, front-end engineers, back-end engineers, QA engineers and UX/UI designers), all passionate about our expertise.
Within the engineering team, we are organized in multiple cross-functional teams. By applying for this role, you will have the chance to become part of the Platform team.
We, the Platform team, are responsible for the core application of HousingAnywhere and are the team where it all started for HousingAnywhere. Here you’ll find those we call the “dinosaurs” of HousingAnywhere. Djordy, our CEO, started our team back when he was Head of Product.
We have ownership of listing management (listing creation, calendar management and listing representation) and also of chat and bookings functionalities. Down the line, everything we do should add to conversions and should help HousingAnywhere grow to be the number 1 market place for students and young professionals in the world.
Our mission as a team is to provide high-quality matching between tenants and landlords and to drive trust between the users of the marketplace. We think about these challenges every day in order to build a world-class product. If this sounds interesting to you, don’t hesitate to read on.
About your role and impact in the platform team
HousingAnywhere has entered a scale-up phase in which we have seen impressive growth in terms of bookings and liquidity in the marketplace. This growth has brought us many technical challenges. On one end of the stack we build features and improvements to optimize conversions, on the other end we are making our infrastructure more resilient for future growth.
Some of the challenges we are tackling:
On the frontend side:
Consolidate our React based frontend with tests and consistent design Provide users with a more fulfilling mobile experience through PWA technologies and principles Integrate real-time technology to deliver content to users quickly Continuously improve SEO through performance and content delivery
On the backend side:
Pragmatically redesigning the core system to identify services and run them outside the main monolith Moving the core platform to Kubernetes and continuous deployment Rethinking the way we represent and store data to allow easier integrations through events and denormalization Monitoring and improving the performance of our private API. Your role in the team is to contribute to solving these challenges by implementing solutions and assisting our team so that our innovative technology can support future business needs.
As a Senior Software Engineer we expect you to mentor our less senior team members and to work closely with our team lead and PO to help them solve technical challenges they face.
We also expect you to challenge our choices and practices by bringing your opinion in the mix, because only by rethinking our best practices we can really evolve as people and as a company.
In frontend we are React lovers. We use Redux, CSS-in-JS, TypeScript, NodeJS and all tools related to this stack. Our backend is powered by Golang backed with a Postgres database. We’re currently moving our backend to a service-oriented architecture (microservices). Our main infrastructure is in Google Cloud Platform. We’ve been using React, GraphQL and Golang in production environments since the early days. Since a few years we’ve started using Kubernetes and nowadays all our new services run in the cluster.
What we are looking for in a Senior Engineer:
- A product-oriented person: you love developing products that help people
- You take responsibility for the quality of your work, you like test automation and you are interested in TDD best practices
- You’re a real team player. You understand your colleagues may have different opinions and you consider them to make our product better.
- Someone who is pragmatic
- Ability to find a clean and simple solution that could be easily adapted and scaled as the business evolves
- Leadership capabilities
- Interest in new technologies
- You understand that maintainable code is simple code that makes intentions explicit
- An educational degree in the field of Computer Science or similar is preferable, although passionate career changers are also welcome
- Experience with online marketplaces, service providers and/or API development
- Solid understanding of web user interface design and web development
- Have 10 years of experience in web development. If you think you can do the job with fewer years experience, don’t hesitate to apply as well.
- Basic understanding of how to prepare a good burger (our team lead even makes his own buns)
Perks & Benefits
What we offer:
- Friday drinks
- Flat organization structure
- Being part of a company that is scaling up with millions of monthly visits, and thousands of paying customers
- A career ladder: a structured way to take control of your career and your growth within HousingAnywhere
- Competitive salary
- Budget for laptop and for training
- The possibility to have a real impact on the core platform of the product
- Fun and international environment at the heart of Rotterdam. Our team consists of over 90+ people, with 25+ different nationalities.
- Full-time position (40 hours a week).
- You will work from our office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Salary will match your experience.
- Starting: ASAP