Senior Software Engineer, SpatialOS at Improbable - London, United KingdomSalary
£50k - £95k• Company Website http://improbable.io/
Improbable is dedicated to building powerful technology designed to help solve previously impossible problems and enable the creation of new realities. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness. In other industries, we hope to help answer critical questions through simulations that could lead to a better functioning world.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
We are a British technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
Engineering is at the heart of Improbable. We solve some of the hardest problems around in areas such as distributed systems, high-performance cloud computing, messaging and much more.
We are technology neutral and believe in well-tested, robust code. Much of our platform is built in GoLang/Java with areas of C++, TypeScript and C#. We use Open Source technologies (such as CoreOS, etcd, Fleet, Docker, Prometheus, gRPC) and give back to the community through open source contributions when we can.
We’re hiring Senior Software Engineers across multiple teams. There is always a diverse range of challenging and interesting projects to work on. Similarly, we welcome diverse engineering backgrounds and are able to offer highly interesting challenges across all our teams, we never hire to fill a gap.
You can find out more about some of our engineering projects here
- Designing and implementing new algorithms to distribute and scale our simulations
- Integrating new workers with our distributed stack
- Core infrastructure that underpins seamless scaling (networking, packing, storage, containers, logging, security across all compute providers)
- Creation of world-class, robust APIs and SDKs for external customers
- Developing tooling to understand, visualise and reason about large real-time simulations
- A strong software engineering pedigree, comfortable choosing the most appropriate language/technologies for the project at hand.
- You have previously operated in a senior capacity and mentored or coached more junior engineers from a technical perspective.
- Software Engineering is more than just a job to you. Perhaps you contribute to Open Source projects, blog or speak at events occasionally, or just spend a great deal of your time thinking about interesting problems.
- You’re disappointed when you’re not learning something new or stretching yourself.
- You can offer your opinion and respectfully reason with people, but equally commit to the direction decided by the majority after being heard.
- You value working in different problem areas and are prepared to work in whichever team is necessary to add the most value to the business.
- You embrace that in a fast-growing start-up, priorities can change quickly.
- You’re accountable and get satisfaction from shipping stuff on time / delivering quantifiable results.
- You go out of your way to help others achieve and improve as a team.
- You’re modest when the results speak for themselves, and humble enough to take responsibility when they don’t.
Experience Of The Following Would Be Advantageous
- Building large-scale distributed systems
- Working on cloud-based scalable architectures
- Building high-traffic, robust APIs, SDK or web architectures
- Working with Game Engines (i.e. Unity, Unreal, CryEngine etc…)