Senior Software Engineer at uSwitch - London, United KingdomSalary
£60k - £75k• Company Website https://uswitch.com
uSwitch’s purpose is to simplify complex marketplaces with intuitive and accessible applications that genuinely improve people’s lives. Saving a few hundred pounds a year on bills makes a fundamental difference to vulnerable people who sometimes have to choose between paying for utilities or groceries.
Our platforms serve millions of users a month, process thousands of comparisons a day, and drive hundreds of complex integrations with vastly different partners. We’re a tech-driven business that focuses on agile delivery and cross functional product teams.
We are creating the next generation of comparison platforms, and as we scale we are looking for passionate, empathetic engineers to build highly performant, accessible, and beautiful consumer experiences to facilitate switching and comparisons on the web.
What you might be working on:
- Building the future of the micro front-ends at uSwitch leveraging some of our packages such koa-core, ustyle, and frameworks like Inferno, Redux and GraphQL
- Delivering integrated and accessible full checkout journeys for additional uSwitch products like Credit Cards and Broadband
- Working with multiple other teams to help drive consumer personalisation and wider uSwitch initiatives; working in Clojure, Go, Elixir and deploying to Kubernetes
- Creating a personalised experience on the uSwitch homepage and our new “manage my bills product”
- Building performance tooling to continuously improve our TTFB across the site, and optimising for a PWA experience with offline caching and push notifications
- Creating beautiful dashboard experiences for our B2B products using D3.js and React
We pride ourselves in delivering accessible, performant, and functional experiences to the consumer, hopefully you do too.
The things we look for in you:
You want to grow within your career and are looking for a place that lets you have immediate, meaningful impact - we deploy up to 150 times a day
Care about the product life cycle and the lifetime value of the customer - without our customers we wouldn’t have a business
Passionate about accessibility, performance, UX, and A/B testing
Pragmatic and deliver thoughtful and awesome solutions to solve business problems
Have had experience or want to have experience working in diverse, cross functional agile teams - we value people that want to push themselves into unknown territories
Want to be involved in the larger engineering community, and contribute back to that community through open source projects and conferences
Have a deep understanding of web applications and the surrounding stacks
We aren’t wedded to languages, but you should know how an application works for a customer :)
Perks & Benefits
We want to give you a great work environment; contribute back to both your personal and professional development; and give you great benefits to make your time at uSwitch even more enjoyable. Some of these benefits include:
A competitive salary and bonus package
A healthy learning and training budget, as well as the chance to go to conferences around the world every year
The latest equipment - be it a Linux or Apple or Windows machine
Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
Paid parental leave for those key moments in your life
We have lots of other great benefits within the business, these are just a few of them
Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
Flexi holiday policy
Bike to work scheme
Season ticket loans for those long commutes
Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
1 month full paid paternity leave to spend more time with the kids
We also want to help you with your life events, so offer interest free loans for special moments in your life like moving home, buying your first home and your wedding
Our application process is outlined here - so if you’re interested in reading about it in more detail go check it out!
Our interview process comprises of 3 steps, after which we will give you an offer. We will always give you feedback along the way as we value it within the company just as much as you will when you are interviewing :)
- Phone interview - this is approximately 30 minutes to have a relaxed chat with you and get to know you a bit better; it will also give you an opportunity to interview us :)
- Coding test - if the phone interview is positive we’ll get you to do a small test in your own time that you will submit back to us. Hopefully it’ll be great fun!
- Final interview - this will be a 2 part interview where we extend the coding test in office with two of our engineers, and then we’ll spend another hour having a more in depth chat with you