Systems Software Engineer at BitMED - Austin, USASalary
$114k – $156k
Here at BitMED we appreciate transparency and creativity. So, let’s try something new. We would like to give you the opportunity to learn more about this role the same way we would get to know you. An application!
We’ll go first…
Why is this position crucial to BitMED?
Our lean team is ready to grow! We are rapidly onboarding 22M members to our platform and that number is growing every day. Our Systems Software Engineer will be responsible for defining and implementing our software standards as they integrate between frontend, backend, data storage, infrastructure and other core system components. By joining our small team, they will be an integral contributor in developing our engineering culture. This person will be a key enabler for lean integration, faster innovation, rapid development, streamlined communication and improved collaboration.
Why does this person want to work at BitMED?
They are excited about bringing blockchain technology to the healthcare community at scale. Joining BitMED is a strategic and advantageous career move for them as they will play a crucial role as a contributor to bringing a global, no-cost healthcare solution to market. They visualize the impact they’ll have in this role and are prepared to offer their expertise towards building a successful new platform that will change the way the world views healthcare.
What will this person do on a day-to-day basis?
The Systems Software Engineer will be responsible for designing and implementing software for a variety of scalable, reliable, and secure distributed computing systems (e.g. blockchain). They will design, implement, and debug core components of internal distributed computing services. They will research and implement key technologies (e.g. blockchain), architectures, and standards. They will work with other engineering teams to ensure that services meet scalability, availability, security, and performance goals.
What is this person expected to accomplish within their first 90 days?
This person will assess the status of our current system software and build upon them. They will work with various members of the engineering team to define and implement API standards. During their first 90 days, our Systems Software Engineer will design and implement Protocol APIs for BitMED’s core services and work with various internal and external technical teams on the adoption. By the end of their first 90 days, we expect this person to draft the Protocol API documentation geared towards open-sourcing the API.
What qualities should this person have?
BitMED is looking for a person with the willingness to learn and the ability to contribute right off the bat. They can balance timeliness and business priorities with technical feasibility. They are adamant about solving problems and are a reliable resource for insight and assessment of technical issues. They are able to speak openly and humbly about their failures and mistakes, clearly articulating what happened and how it was addressed. They are passionate about learning, executing and leading by example. They are an open source enthusiast and a best in class developer with a desire to gain knowledge in an emerging market. They are able to think through and anticipate how hackers and others may attempt to subvert or misuse applications.
What experience should this person have?
- 5+ years of overall developer experience
- 2+ years measuring, analyzing, and optimizing performance
- 2+ years developing distributed applications and API integration
- 2+ years developing applications using cloud-based platforms and microservices
- Strong understanding of concurrency, parallelism and distributed systems
- Knowledge of concurrency control, data structures, algorithms, distributed system architectures and networking
What technical skills MUST this person have?
- 1+ years of experience with blockchain security technologies and cryptography knowledge
- Strong systems programming skills
- Experience with all aspects of software development from architecture to deployment and maintenance
- Familiarity with distributed storage systems (HDFS, Amazon S3)
- Fluency in Go (golang) C/C++, Python, shell scripting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Hands-on developer-level understanding of blockchain technologies including smart contracts, blockchain applications or proof-of-concepts (POCs) using Hyperledger, Ethereum Solidity or other proprietary languages and APIs
- Proven ability to translate requirements from architects and product managers into functional code.
- Knowledge of database technologies including SQL/NoSQL
What skills would we like this person to have?
- Strong passion for technology and applying it to business solutions
- Working understanding of blockchain technologies, cryptocurrency, and financial software
- Experience running a large-scale production system